Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tote Bag Swap


Hi guys!  Today I wanted to share a bag (actually two) that I recently made as the tote bag swap being hosted by Lia's Handmades.  The theme for this round was nature, and my partner requested something classic looking with no batiks.  I thought it was the perfect opportunity to use some of my precious Tula Pink fabric and the coordinating tree embroidery pattern from Urban Threads.  I made up my own pattern for the bag, but the idea for the criss-cross triangular front pockets came from Bonnie over at Fishsticks Designs.  She was my partner in another swap and made me a bag with that triangular pocket and I loved it so much I put it on this bag!

Here's the front.  The main body is actually navy, but I'm still getting used to my new camera and am having some difficulties.







And the back, both main panels are quilted, and I wanted to include a bit of coordinating patchwork as well.






Inside is a zipper pocket, and the top features an inset zipper closure. I've never done one of those before and just sort of made it up as I went along.  I think it turned out ok- in any case it opens and closes and all the raw edges are hidden!




And here are a few extra goodies I sent along with it.

I liked the bag so much I made a coordinating one for me.  I think it's going to be my IQF Houston bag.  It's a bit bigger than a purse (with room for purchases!) but not huge, and has nice padded straps for a long day of carrying.



And now, I really have to get back to quilting.  But I really hope my still-secret partner likes the bag!


3 comments:

  1. Two very lovely bags. I'm sure you swap partner will love it. The quilting is amazing and the fabrics you chose are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these bags and especially the one you made for the swap. It's gorgeous and your partner just has to love it. I know I would for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bag!!! Holy smokes, Shannon. :D Your partner is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete